Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cocos Log Part II

Latest Position: 10/26/08 0200Z 14 03.481S 90 32.807E



Day 3 at Cocos:

The next morning 2 new boats pulled in and I went to Home Island to find a bank so I would have some cash to pay the carpenter. Then I caught the ferry to West Island again, got some more provisions and used the Internet cafe. I caught the 2:30 bus back to the ferry which was the bus that all the school kids take. I managed to wedge myself and my big box of food in somehow. All the kids on the bus were wearing traditional Muslim clothing so I felt a little out of place in that bus. But I am 10,000 miles from home so I guess that is normal. By the time I got back to Intrepid it was already early afternoon so I started finishing up the cleanup from my days at sea; washing all the salt off the windows and coiling up all of the lines. Jed and Sean from one of the new boats (Ingrid) came by and asked if I wanted to go snorkeling with them. I grabbed my snorkel, mask and flippers and hopped in their dinghy. We anchored the dinghy at the edge of a reef and jumped in. We swam all around the reef but there weren't many fish just tons of sea slugs and a few reef sharks none of which were over 6 feet. After we were done snorkeling in the 80 degree water we headed over to Prison Island which is a small, sandy island with a few palm trees about 1/2 mile from Direction Island (the yacht anchorage). Jed and I headed out to explore the island. It took us all of 10 minutes to explore the whole island. Then it was back in the water. Interesting things happen when you swim in such warm water. You don't get tired as fast and I could hold my breath for a good 30 seconds longer that normal. After Prison Island we went to Direction Island where our boats were anchored. Jed and I set off on some trail into the middle of the jungle-like island. After walking through trails that were more like tunnels for half and hour we came out on the other side of the island. This is the side of the island that gets battered by the trade winds. There were literally 100s and 1000s of flip flops washed up on the beach. These had been swept from all over the world. After we walked the beach for awhile unsuccessfully trying to find a matching pair we headed off down some trail hoping it would take us back to the beach we came in on. It took us awhile to make our way back through the maze of trails. We finally made it back to the beach just on dark. Sean and the dinghy were back at Ingrid so we swam most of the way back. Jed's dad Richard came and picked up us and informed us that sharks eat in the evening. Richard invited me back over to Ingrid for dinner. They had caught a Wahoo a couple of days ago and Sean, who used to be chef, had just made dinner. After dinner we sat in the cockpit and watched the sharks swimming around the boat and enjoyed our piece of paradise.



End of Cocos Log Part II



Right now I am sailing between 6-7 knots with 20 knots of wind off my aft port quarter and with an 8-10 foot swell on the beam. The forecast shows that the swell should be shifting around to my aft quarter in a couple of days. Not much going on out here but I'm making good progress towards Mauritius. I will be talking to you all at the LA Gathering tomorrow afternoon which is early morning for me. Hopefully, I won't over sleep and miss Dad's call!

Cheers,

Zac



If you are still interested in attending the LA Gathering there is still space. You can sign up in the morning on line or just come over to the restaurant around 3:00pm.

LA Gathering/Fundraiser
A celebration presentation of Zac's trip and a fund raiser for his adventures will be held on Sunday Oct. 26 from 3 to 6 pm at The Organic Panificio Waterfront Restaurant located at 4211 Admiralty Way (at the corner of Palawan Way) in Marina del Rey.
Laurence & Marianne Sunderland, Zac's parents, will provide an update on his trip, including never before seen footage of his adventures at sea and a computer video presentation of his planned route.
A question and answer session and a silent auction of donated products/services will follow. The highlight of the evening will be an attempt to contact Zac directly at sea via a satellite phone connection for an additional on the spot update.
Light appetizers will be served and a "cash bar" will be available. As space is limited, reservations are required.
Cost for the event is $20 pre-paid, $27 at the door and $10 for children 12 and under.
To pre-pay reservations go to Zac's website at http://www.zacsunderland.com/, click on "Store" and follow the prompts.
For additional reservations, information or other payment methods: e-mail Marilyn at mgsimcox@yahoo.com or phone (818) 703-1154.

26 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Zac, you are so funny!! I hope you are awake when your Dad calls!! Hopefully it won't be too hard for you to wake up!! Just think how it was when you had to get up early for school, and Mom and Dad kept telling you to get up!! lol!!

I am so excited to be among the lucky ones to be a part of your fundraiser.

Keep up the good work, you are doing amazing things!!

Until tomorrow!!

Debbie
North Hills, CA

October 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

HI Zac!
Thanks for the update.....I'm pretty sure I told you to stay out of the water!!!LOL I have a phobia about sharks...and uh, even I could have told you: THEY FEED AT NIGHT>>> YIKES!!

I had a bit of a chuckle as you described yourself wedged in with your packages on the school bus. In Tasmania on Burney Island, the ferry bus also doubles as the island's school bus, we didn't have to share the day that I went but I could definitely picture it!

Glad to hear the swells will be shifting for you, hopefully it will be a better ride.

Stay safe.....stay out of the water at night PLEASE!

Blessings and God Speed
Anita
Waterloo, NY
Captain SV "Wombat"

October 26, 2008 at 4:12 AM  
Blogger Galileon said...

OMG that sounds like so much fun! Glad you're enjoying yourself, can't wait to tell people when you get to Mauritius (my home), I hope you like it there! Don't forget to try the "dall pouri" and "alouda" at the central market...and if you're staying for a while, the northern beaches are a must-see...

October 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Only 6 foot sharks Zac? That is longer than I am tall. When I said get a haircut, I did not mean get it nibbled by a 6' shark.

For those on the "I am not sure if I can make it" fence, get off the fence and come on down this afternoon. Besides good company, an update on Zac, the chance to ask him why it is taking so long to find a barber shop, you can get some Holiday shopping done in a relaxed unrushed atmosphere. We will have a variety of items to please almost anyone. You will find jewlery, art, photos of Zac, furniture, exercise equipment, dinners, CDs, books, calendars, a variety of shirts, and much, much more. A little later today I will attempt to post some items. (A lot later. It is 5:15 Sunday morning right now.)

Lastly remember, all gifts are 2fers. When you purchase a gift for your loved one, you have also made a gift to Zac, as ALL proceeds from the auction are for Zac's haircut and other needs.

Godspeed Zac.

Bill Mann

October 26, 2008 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Uncle Hectic said...

Great update, you're a very entertaining writer and it sounds like such a great adventure, (I'm very jealous).

October 26, 2008 at 5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Dave.
The new links are great. Thanks. Am I right that the last link does not cover the Indian ocean?? I bookmarked all the links and will play with them in combination with the Volvo Race.

@ Zac.
Your writting is just great

@ Bill
I got a haircut this week - can I cover for Zac LOL

You all have fun and don't forget to take the cruise.
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

October 26, 2008 at 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reckon it's time for the Mann to grow his hair! ((It's so obvious U want to be a long hair..Well then...Pull the trigger.)) U need inspiration? O.K. I know/heard of this 16 y/o kid sailing aroung the world.. I havn't had a haircut in 3years. Yes it's a journey, but the reactions are quite genuinely refreshing..not that is a concern.

October 26, 2008 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger Daveh said...

@ Axel -

You are correct, but will cover the legs from Africa to the Caribbean...

Daveh & Skipper

October 26, 2008 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Axel, Rory, me thinks everyone is in for a surprise this afternoon.

I have been so busy between my factory duties and the fundraiser, that I missed my appointment with my barber on Thursday.

I tried to reschedule yesterday but he was closed because he did not feel well.

He is 70 years old and is only open 4 days a week and then he sometimes does not bother to show up.

Consequently I have not had a haircut since June.

Bill Mann

October 26, 2008 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Willyboy said...

Zac, sounds like you had a fine time in Cocos. I'm glad - was worried you might have been fully occupied with repairs. Sharks are really magnificent creatures and most pose no serious threats. I've seen my share, but I am almost always more impressed with barracuda and rays; 'cudas because they are sleek and tough looking, zeppelins in the sea and rays because they are so graceful. Anyway, glad you did fun things in paradise along with the needed work.

To my ZacPac family: I'd love to join all of you at the gathering tonight, but business travel didn't take me out west in a timely fashion. Oh well... I know it will be a wonderful time.

Cheers!

willy
milford, ohio

October 26, 2008 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Douglas Pistone said...

Hello Zac & Zac Pac,

I'll look forward to seeing all of you this afternoon. The day has finally arrived. I'm going to pass out some flyers this morning at our sailing club and see if I can get some sailors out of the ocean earlier this afternoon.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone today. If you don't have a busy day please drop by and have a great time and join us. I know you won't regreat it.

@ Zac, Your stories are very interesting. I enoyed hearing that you could hold your breath another 30 seconds longer in the warm water. Looking forward to hearing you wake up this morning. Please Answer.

Sail On,
Douglas Pistone

October 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,
We enjoyed reading both Cocos - Part I & II. Your descriptions are great that we could visualize the hundreds of flip flops covering the beach. That must have been quite a sight. Sounds like you had a great time exploring the island with your friend.

Glad the winds have been kind to you and you're making good progress.

Take care, stay safe and Godspeed!

To All Attending the Gathering/Fundraiser,
Have fun! Sorry we can't be there.

Dick & Gin
Upland

October 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had a haircut since last year because I need to have long enough hair to put in a pony-tail for dance class.

Please don't go swimming unless you know where all the sharks are.

October 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac Pac and Team Sunderland,

It's early afternoon here in the northwest and I'm visualizing everyone at the gathering/fundraising event in MDR which should be starting soon. So sorry I cannot be there as I would absolutely love to be. Please know that I offer my support spiritually in prayer and good wishes. Hope you all have fun !! Please give us extended Zac Pac'cers a recap of the afternoon.


Maureen
Boise

October 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting that even in remote areas of the world, they have internet connection.

Another time it's not a good idea to be in the water were sharks hang out, is when fishing boats return to base. Sometimes the fishing boats are cleaning fish before landing, throwing the scraps overboard while returning.

I notice your last postion on Google Earth, and you are making good progress!...hope that keeps up for you.

October 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Daveh said...

WHAAATTT???? Bar-Stool Bill Man, Mr. "get a haircut" himself, hasn't had a haircut since June!?!?!

Not that is some funny stuff!!!

Oh man....


Daveh & Skipper

October 26, 2008 at 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool that you can hold your breath longer in warm water... have you any idea why? I tried looking it up but failed to come up with anything useful.
@ZacPac - I hope y'all have fun today!
~Jessica from Alberta, Canada

October 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Tomi said...

ZacPac -
I'm like so jealous of those of y'all who're attending Capt Zac's tribute right now. To be able to hear my Hero's voice "LIVE" & his words of where he is & what he's doing... Gods Bless y'all who're "there".

I'd be interested to hear what's left over from the auction. Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to purchase/submit a bid on something as a gift to someone I hold in me heart for the upcoming Holidaze.

Capt Zac -
You've yet to answer queries/posts on what y'all are studying. We ZacPac'ers just want to know - we're a curious lot ya know. By the bye, what do YOU want for Yule/Christmas/Chanukkah/Winter Solstice/Kwanzaa/Ramadan (besides completing your circumnavigation of Earth/Terra/Gaia in record time)?

Please keep us posted on what y'all are doing on board Intrepid & how She's holding up.

Warm Fuzzy HUGS!!!
Tomi/ATL

October 26, 2008 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Tomi said...

PS -
Did ye take yer anti-malarial this week?!?
T.

October 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the longest leg by distance? About 4,200nm right?

Alika

October 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac:

Glad to hear that sailing conditions are improving. Hoping that they continue to do so.

Your words can paint pictures. The one of the tunnel through the jungle and the flip-flops on the beach are indelible.

Continue good weather!

The Croaker

October 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,
Just got home from your fundraiser..much faster trip home without LA traffic.

I introduced myself to your mom and had a quick chat with her about all the moms you have now ha ha. I didn't get a chance to talk with your Dad but he is quite a special guy..he had me in tears twice. I have to say the the highlight of the day was hearing you on the other end of the phone..im the one who asked you "what your plans were for Intrepid when you returned home".The reason i asked that question was because i had read that Jesse Martin sold Lionheart after she sat collecting bird poop.. that made me sad..i liked your answer that you wanted to get intrepid ready for more.

Well im sure you looking forward to seeing your Mom & Dad in a few weeks. It was an honor to be in the company of all your wonderful family.
Stay dry and sail safe.
Laura

October 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 11:00 p.m. and I am comfortably ensconsed in my Ramada bed, but folks, I gotta tell ya, I'm still high from having spent too few hours with nearly 200 Zac fans.

I'm at a loss for words. Really.

The buzz was palpable.

I first met Marilyn at the check-in counter. She, along with Darrell and others I didn't have the pleasure of meeting, made this happen.

Marianne was radiant; a remarkable woman with a megawatt smile. Six kids at home (the elders she home schools) and she still finds time to manage Zac's blog. Yes, cutting and pasting at midnight! Look at the posting times.

I met Bill, who facilitated the silent auction. And that was no small feat, with what must have been a hundred items you all so generously donated. Did you know Bill has been a foster parent to 93 kids? Unreal.

Douglas had video camera in tow and will be sharing the video with us. His enthusiasm is contagious. Ebullient would be an understatement!

We signed Zac's shiny new boom, which Laurence will be delivering personally to Zac in Mauritius.

Lisa Gizara, who's beautiful photography is featured in Zac's photo gallery, unveiled a Zac calendar. It's positively stunning! A must have.

Laurence led a question and answer session with the Zacinator himself via the sat phone. When we weren't riveted to his voice from 12,000 miles away, we were whooping and hollering like crazed fans at a rock concert! He is making hull speed with his genoa, and is as cool and confident as ever.

And I had the opportunity to present GiftClix's first ever donation check for $182.81 to Mom and Dad. To those of you who have used Zac's GiftClix portal to shop: Thank You. Let's see what we can do next month! Christmas shopping? You'd better shop at Zac's "mall"!

After the conclusion of the event, Barbara, owner of a beautiful 58-foot motor yacht, and Skipper Jim, took Pac'ers (including me) on a marvelous bay cruise.

Thank you to everyone, everywhere, for your words, time, expertise, thoughts, donations, and prayers for Zac and his family. For me it was an experience I'll never forget.

Lucky for all of us I'm still at a loss for words! That, and my laptop is dying!

Troy

October 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,
Just got home from your fundraiser..much faster trip home without LA traffic.

I introduced myself to your mom and had a quick chat with her about all the moms you have now ha ha. I didn't get a chance to talk with your Dad but he is quite a special guy..he had me in tears twice. I have to say the the highlight of the day was hearing you on the other end of the phone..im the one who asked you "what your plans were for Intrepid when you returned home".The reason i asked that question was because i had read that Jesse Martin sold Lionheart after she sat collecting bird poop.. that made me sad..i liked your answer that you wanted to get intrepid ready for more.

Well im sure you looking forward to seeing your family in a few weeks. It was an honor to be in the company of all your wonderful family.
Stay dry and sail safe.
Laura

October 26, 2008 10:25 PM

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Brad McEachern said...

Wow Zac, Loosing the forestay with a wild lose sail is not fun with a full crew of grown sailors. Good for you for getting it under control! Most people would be freaking if just off the dock, let alone in the middle of the ocean. I hope you get 12 knots and a sunny break soon. Your the man.
Brad Nanaimo, Canada.

November 3, 2008 at 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Zac,
I hope you succeed in your circumnavagation. Hope you don't run into any more storms. We're praying for you.

Zach and Jayden

Ps.
Your parents are proud of you.

November 4, 2008 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home