Friday, November 14, 2008

Mauritius - 3

I know you are looking forward to hearing from Zac but as the Croaker so eloquently put it - he only has so much time in a day. Recovering from a tough leg, facing a large list of maintenace and repairs, trying to get them done beofre cylcone season starts etc... Work is coming along on Intrepid. Zac has a miserable cold and spent the morning trying to send Laurence's photos over while Laurence and the guys worked on the boat. Unfortunately, there are some problems with the photos so we'll have to try again tomorrow.
Both of the guys are happy with how the work is going. I'm sorry to have so little to report but wanted to keep you all resting comfortably and not worrying.

In place of a blog from Zac I will post here some of the new FAQs that will be hitting Zac's web site any day.

To read some of the earlier questions and answers, please click on the “Zac FAQs” link on the right side of the blog, or in the header on his home page (FAQs/Intrepid).

Q Please tell us about Zac’s traditional school work and home schooling, and whether parts of his journey count for credit in school.
A First of all, Zac is a year ahead of others his age in school. He has finished all of his math requirements by starting advanced math earlier than most. Parts of his trip definitely do count towards his subjects in school. Those subjects are Composition, Oceanography, Advanced Seamanship and World Cultures (including food, history, customs, religions and government). When he returns, he will complete the traditional required classes for his senior year with his peers, such as History, English, Government and Economics.

Q Zac, do you ever get sick reading on board?
A No, I never get sick when I read on board.

Q Do you read a lot?
A I read when I can. Often, it’s just too hectic to read and navigate at the same time, especially in high winds and rough seas. Sometimes reading makes me sleepy, especially when I am sleep deprived, anyway. I usually have several books that I’m reading at the same time. I may be in the mood to read a sailing-oriented book at one time, but an entirely different fictional book or biography at another time.

Q Have you read Kon-Tiki By Thor Heyerdahl?
A I have it on board, but I have not read it yet.

Q Will Dad be meeting Zac in most all of the ports where he stops?
A Laurence plans to meet Zac in Mauritius, Cape Town and possibly, Panama. A lot depends on finances and if Intrepid needs anything.

Q When his water gets moldy, does that mean he has to stop somewhere for water?
A No, he just adds some bleach to the water to kill the mold, but not enough to make him sick.

Q With wet electronics, does the radar still work?
A Marine electronics, such as the radar screen, are made to be waterproof. A problem can result if the wires become corroded from too much water, but Zac hasn’t had a problem with that on his journey.

Q I know the AIS is transponder based, but will it still alert him to smaller vessels that may not have transponders?
A No, but they will show up on the other radar. The benefit of AIS is that it gives more information about what he sees, such as the direction, speed and identity of the boat.

Q How vital is it to have a functioning engine going to your next ports?
A It is extremely vital, especially in unfamiliar ports and in Panama.

Q Did Laurence take Zac’s CDs to Darwin?
A Zac is a typical teenager, who doesn’t have a lot of CDs. He downloads most of his music. There were two iPods donated to him before Darwin. One was fully loaded with a wide variety of eclectic music, and the other was awaiting a waterproof case, so that it doesn’t get ruined by salt water again. He picked that ipod up in Mauritius. Zac’s favorite music is High Energy Rock.

Q What do your other children think of Zac’s adventure?
A Abby (15) wishes she were on the seas, instead of Zac, but she is very supportive of his adventure. Toby (11) thinks he’s crazy, because he gets seasick, and couldn’t imagine doing what Zac is doing. Jessie, Lydia and Kathryn are too young to really understand what he’s doing and why, but they miss his being around to play with them. Ben is just a baby, so he has not voiced his opinion yet.

Q Could he have dried some of the fish he caught?
A Yes, he probably could have, if the conditions were right. It would have to be warm, calm and not too humid. The family has made fish jerky on board previously when sailing in Mexico, after marinating it in teriyaki sauce. It’s pretty time consuming, though, and probably was too humid where he caught the fish.

Q How far is Laurence’s home town from Darwin?
A Laurence is British, not Australian. He is from Lymington in Hampshire, England. He did, however, live in Australia for a period of time (Canberra and Bowen).

Q What was the longest solo trip that Zac has ever taken prior to this venture?
A Zac had not sailed a solo trip before he set off from Marina del Rey in June. He had sole responsibility for 4-hour shifts sailing to San Francisco, however.

Q When does Marianne get to meet up with Zac again?
A Right now, there are no plans for Marianne to meet Zac at any of the future ports, until he arrives in Marina del Rey. She would love to meet him in South Africa, but that depends on financial resources.

Q Did Lady Marianne locate a decent solar oven for you?
A Yes, but I haven’t used it yet. There are so many things to do and cooking food isn’t one of my highest priorities. I’m mostly eating canned and dried food, but I’m getting very tired of it.

Q When and where will new video clips be available?
A Some new clips were seen at the LA event on Oct. 26. It’s extremely expensive to edit the amount of video we have available, so newer clips will depend on financial resources, like just about everything else.

Q What is your best speed thus far? What is the hull speed of Intrepid?
A My best speed thus far, with currents is a little over 9 knots. The hull speed of Intrepid is 7 knots.

Q Will we get a list of positions, once you get to Cocos-Keeling?
A Yes, they will be posted eventually. ‘So much to do and so little time in a day!

Q Do you, Zac, have some knowledge of the constellations so you can identify them?
A I have basic knowledge, but I’m certainly not an expert in that area. I would not want to be responsible for navigating Intrepid based on constellation knowledge alone! I have developed a new method of celestial navigation, however. I tied the tiller to my foot as I lay in the cockpit trying to get some sleep and stay on course, correcting my steering by the position of the stars.

Q What CD did you listen to 100 times when your iPod wasn’t working?
A It was a Jeremy Camp CD.

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that idea of Zac's of laying on his back, watching the stars while steering with his foot tied to the tiller...inventive!

I'm sure that with Laurence around to help Zac, it gives Zac a better rest up period...and it's always good to take to your Dad in person.

Zac has done great through the whole voyage to date, seeing many places, tasting new foods, meeting different people, experiencing so many things he will remember forever. After this trip is over, I'll bet coastal sailing will bore him...lol

November 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger Galileon said...

Aww sorry to hear about Zac's cold, hope he gets better soon...

Glad work is coming along, and good luck getting ready before cyclone season...

November 15, 2008 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Galileon said...

Another intrepid young navigator:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7730233.stm

November 15, 2008 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Chris Myles said...

Sorry to hear Zac is feeling "under the weather", but glad repairs are progressing on Intrepid.

If anyone tried to Contact us about the TrackZac Map our Spam filtered worked so good we didn't get ANY of the messages. It's working again, if you feel like we ignored your comments please re-send.

Sorry for the confusion, I really do hate SPAM!!

Chris

November 15, 2008 at 1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure he didn't come from Lymington County - Lymington is a town in the county of Hamapshire ;-)

November 15, 2008 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Thanks for the FAQ's!

Zac, hope you're soon feeling better, nothing worse than a miserable cold.

Welcome all newbies to Zac's blog, this is a fun place where you'll meet lots of great people. Not everyone here is a sailor but no worries, you'll soon get the lingo!!

Best wishes to Zac, and Laurence, it will all get done have faith :)

Hugs,
Anita
Waterloo, NY
Captain SV "Wombat"

@Peter...nice to see you back, we missed you!!

November 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Marianne....for the update. So sorry to hear that Zac has a miserable cold.I did wonder what would happen if he wasn't well.Glad that all the repair work is going ok and the guys are happy.
I love the Q & A. Nice to hear that Laurence is British! We have friends who work in the boat yards down that way.
Hope, soooo much that you get to meet up with Zac in Africa.That's a must!

UK friend

November 15, 2008 at 2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Perham, a 16-year-old English lad has just set off in an Ocean 50 to go around the world single-handed, non-stop.

I'm sure Zac and his family will join us in wishing him the best of luck and pray for him, too.

I hope that people here won't be derogory towards Mike. He's doing it very differently to Zac, with big sponsorship and a high-tech boat. But he's also taking a tougher route around the Southern Ocean.

Both boys are true adventurers and we should join in backing them both. :-)

November 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM  
Blogger davejb851 said...

Zac and Dad,
It goes without saying you need all your focus to be on getting Intrepid ready for the upcoming legs.....get to it.
God speed and good winds.

November 15, 2008 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I apologize for the lack of an auction this week. My reading glasses came in but the axis was off and I was getting headaches trying to see what I was typing. The auction will resume next week.

For the locals, if anyone needs a bed, hot meal or a shower, I am always here. My email address and phone number are below.

The fire area is a huge one and I am sure that it must have affected some of our Zac Pac family.

To everyone in the north end of the San Fernando Valley, my wishes for the least disruption to your lives as you endure the second fire of the season to your area.

Bill Mann
South Pasadena
bill@barstools4u.com
323 205-0417

November 15, 2008 at 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac: I hope you get better. That's got to be no fun being sick once you finally get to land. Hopefully Intrepid will be fixed on schedule (or before :D) and, as someone else so put it, under-budget.

Marianne: Just wanted to say thank-you for allowing so many of us to become involved with what Zac is doing.

Prayers and blessings,

EmilyAnne
Fayetteville, NC
Homeschooler

November 15, 2008 at 5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who read Zac's blog may be interested to know that an English boy has also set off in an attempt to become the youngest person to sail around the world. His name is Michael Perham.
He holds the record for the the youngest person to sail across the Atlantic alone.
I'm sure we would all wish him luck in his attempt.

November 15, 2008 at 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 15, 2008 at 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just created the "Zac Pac" group in the Volvo Ocean Race. So far it has 3 members:
Vida Loca
dunbar
Tiger2
If there are more racers in the Pac - just join. It's almost as adicting as the Zac blog :-)
Have a nice weekend
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

November 15, 2008 at 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another question to pose to Zac. At night being out in the middle of the ocean with no lights around, do the stars and the moon seem larger than they seem back home? Also with no lights around do you see a lot of shooting stars or strange lights moving in the sky?

November 15, 2008 at 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous (1:54am),
I hope you know all the states and capitols of the USA!
Oh, and by the way it is.....HAMPSHIRE....not Hamapshire!

November 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures!

Zac, I hope you get feeling better quickly so you can enjoy everything to the max! I have totally enjoyed 'getting to know' your entire family and following you on your life changing journey!

Just a question:

With the British teen that just set off, that I have seen a few people mention it here... Aren't the two journeys quite different? I would think that because Zac is stopping, on a smaller boat, etc., that Mike Perham would be seeking a totally different record with his much bigger boat and going non-stop.

Am I just totally naive about it all? I thought I remembered Zac mentioning that this wasn't what he was looking for. That he wanted the adventure of stopping and exploring, and the record would be different.

Regardless, I think it's all amazing and wish them both luck. (But I do have a bit of a soft spot for Zac :-))

God Bless,
-Jules

November 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zac!
I'm sorry your not feeling well-I'll pray you get better soon. Hope everything keeps going well! God bless!

November 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Joy on Journey said...

Hey Zac, Marianne, Pac and all.

I had to laugh about the Jeremy Camp CD. I like his music, but it can get a bit monotonous, I think - just one whole album at at time! I can't imagine. Also, most guys I know don't like him - I think because most girls I know DO! So, I bet you are really not liking him so much anymore... Glad what you were listening to was music that pointed to God, that's a good thing.

God bless you Marianne and Zac and all you Sunderlands! Thanks for all the work you do to make this such a fun ride for everyone. Hope you guys are enjoying it too.

Colds are NOT part of the plan here, Zac. I will pray for a speedy recovery. Eat FRUIT while you are there. I am thinking there's not much for antioxidants in your canned chili. Your immunity system was prob. really weak. Think you might have been overextending yourself just a tad?(S) REST too. Colds sometimes force us to slow down. Glad you are on land, so you have that option - a little bit anyway. Right?

@ Croaker - Did you hear that?? Lady Marianne called you "eloquent!" Are you blushing? lol

Hope Zac can get that new ipod loaded up with tunes. Seems like you should have a really good soundtrack for a trip like this. (Def. more options than Jeremy Camp anyway!) Hey, if you can't blast your tunes in the middle of the ocean, where can you?

Well, continued blessings, Cap'n. Go west young man!

LA in MN

November 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I wish Mike Perham a safe journey.

@ Sue- I recall on an earlier blog that Zac has some foreign language tapes on board Intrepid however, I forget which language. Good trivia question for the rest of the Pac!

@ Bill Mann- Your heart is enormous. I hope that all of the bloggers are out of harms way and my thoughts are with all of those who are struggling with the fires, loss of homes, etc. I love firefighters!

Zac- feel better dude! Get plenty of rest so that you're ready for the next leg.

November 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Croaker of FrogPond said...

@Zac-Packers

The new kid on the block, this Mike Perham is not in the same league as Zac. Still, I pray for his safety and success; however, it sounds like he'll be leading a flotilla.

His objective, to solo cirvumnavigate nonstop ... what is that? It may gain him so attention and notoriety, but then what? A book of peril at sea? A nautical cookbook on how to survive with only a 4-burner with over, a microwave, and a crockpot? Should be able to handle about anything in his freezer.

Sailing around nonstop is about as exciting as sitting in a redwood tree for a year, living in a mountaintop cave, or just living in one room for an extended period.

Zac's 'adventure' is one of discovery, learning, and personal growth. Meet the people, taste the food, see their culture, go with them to their worship services. Meet Carla, etc. etc.

With whom had you rather sail? I have my seat and I'm keeping it.

The Croaker

November 15, 2008 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Croaker of FrogPond said...

@joyonjourney

Yes, I noticed that Marianne called me eloquent. I've been called many things, but that's a first! I am deeply flattered that my comments have been noted by someone with so many irons in the fire, hot potatoes in the air, six kids at home, and one alone on the ocean.

She such a lady that feared being called to task by her because I can't keep my mouth shut when someone questions anything about this adventure that Zac is on and I interpret it as negativity.

Right now, I am somewhat annyoed that Michael Perham may be trying to steal some of Zac's thunder. Zac is on an adventure of learning and personal growth. The other young man is merely accomplishing a feat. The vast percentage of any benefits will be to his sponsors. I'll try to find his site and wish him well, but can't imagine any vicarious experiences from his effort.

The Croaker

November 15, 2008 at 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The negative comments left about Mike Perham after the Mauritius 2 blog really left me feeling sad. I have read everyone of Zac's blogs because I admire what he is trying to achieve. This is the case for Mike Perham as well. It's a shame that people who read Zac's blog have become so partisan that they can't appreciate the efforts of another young man.
In regards to Zac no longer blogging, I have no problem with that. He's 16 and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do when he has a minute of free time, is write a blog for us lot.
Good luck to both boys, and maybe we should all get a life!

November 16, 2008 at 2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Croaker's anti Mike Perham posts were quite unseemly. I suggest that the moderators delete them as they also tarnish Zac by association.


- Sven in MDR

November 16, 2008 at 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ anon

I agree with you - regulars on this blog need to just calm down. Many of them write about being so Christian and yet are so quick to criticize another 16 year old boy for following his dream. Mean words, mean spirit. Both boys are doing an incredible job.

November 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Gleaming Waters said...

Hi Zac,
As I was looking over towards the So. Cal coast covered with smoke this morning, I was thinking and praying for you, way far away from home.
Enjoyed the Q&A today and smiled to read J.C. was the CD you listened to, a lot. I like his music, too.
God speed,
Tamara

November 16, 2008 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Douglas Pistone said...

Hello Zac,

I'm sorry your feeling so poorly with that cold. It's all over the place here in MDR with colds and the flu. It's the season and so many people feel horrible right now. I hope you feel better very soon.

Take Care,
Douglas Pistone
MDR, California

November 17, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home