Sunday, November 30, 2008

Smooth Sailing & the Forstay Saga

Latest Position: 11/30/08 1547Z 26 39.814S 50 32.221E
A good day today with the winds shifting a bit but still enough to make decent headway. So far the good weather seems to be holding and the seas have been calm. I am feeling good and passing the time listening to my french language tapes, reading some and doing small jobs on the boat. I sat down to write out the end to the story of my time in the Indian Ocean when my forstay let loose.
For any who may have missed the first part of the story, I have reposted it here with the end of the story following...

Indian Ocean Trouble:

It was about 10pm and I was sailing along under genoa alone. (I have been saving the repaired boom only for necessity.) I was going between 6-7 knots in a nice 25 knot Indian Ocean trade on the aft quarter. I had just layed down in my bunk and was awake listening to the sounds of the boat working when I heard a flapping noise on deck. It sounded like a flying fish or maybe a bird so I didn't bother to check it. A minute later, the motion of the boat changed. I went up in the cockpit and saw that the gennie was way too far off the boat. At this point my night vision hadn't quite kicked in yet. I thought that maybe the furling line had snapped and it had come all the way unfurled. I switched on the spreader lights and found my gennie 15 feet from the boat held by the furling line and the sheet. It looked like a spinnaker. As I looked at it I knew that I was in for one of those adrenalin-filled sleepless nights. The first thing I did was to grab the spinnaker halyard and fasten it to the bow for mast support. So I put the furling line around the winch and fell off the wind a little to take the wind off the sail. This worked pretty well except now I had to go and wrestle a flogging genoa over the lifelines and lash it to the deck. Around 1am I finally got it lashed down on a 1/2" thick U-bolt right behind where the forstay is fastened to the deck. It was under control enough to call my dad to see if he had any advice. He called some of the riggers who had worked on Intrepid in Marina del Rey and they thought that I should loosen the aft stay to give the forstay some slack to try and reattach it. I went back up on deck to try to furl the sail and after 3 hours I got it furled to 1/4 of it's size. It was 4 am and I was getting a little too tired to be on deck so I pulled up the main with a reef in it and went to sleep....


Indian Ocean Troubles (Part II):
After the first night I had managed to partially furl the sail and secure the furler on the deck. The next morning I went to work and by sundown I had managed to completely furl the sail and got it reattached to the forward chainplate by using a couple of shackles to extend the forstay. By the end of the day it was almost as good as new and I was sailing along with full main and my patched boom. After this I had 24 hours with no problems and smooth sailing. I was able to keep up a good 6.5 knots average with about 25-30 knots behind me. This was not to last. At about 4 in the morning the following day the forstay let loose again. The nut had come loose from the bolt that was holding the furler to the shackle. With the heavy winds the sail was unfurled in no time. This time it was much crazier up on deck. I was often burying the bow of the boat in waves and it was all I could do to keep from getting thrown off. After a couple of hours I was able to get the furler lashed down to the deck but somehow during all this the forstay snapped inside the furler and had knotted itself inside. I couldn't pull down the furler or spin it. By the end of the day I had managed to get the bottom 2/3 of the sail furled but the top 1/3 was still flogging. Each time the sail filled with wind it would slam the rig. It was agonizing to watch this happening and not knowing how much more damage was being done. I had been studying the charts a couple of days prior and knew I was coming up on an Island called Rodrigues. After talking to friend and world sailor, Rob Jordan, who had been there, I decided to pull in so I could deal with pulling down my sail out of the wind. I was still 200 miles out from Rodrigues so it was back to work on deck. I was able to wrap a spinnaker halyard around the roller furler and that helped stop the top of the sail from flogging so much. That night the lines holding the furler to the deck snapped. The full weight of the top third of the sail went on the spinnaker halyard that was wrapped around it. I had had 2 lines wrapped around the sail and they both had chaffed completely through and broke. Now after I had wrapped the spinnaker halyard around the furler a couple of times I didn't have enough rope to make it back down to the deck. I clipped it on to the pulpit and now with the weight of the sail on it, the pulpit bent all out of shape in seconds. By the time I got it relashed to the deck, the pulpit was a mess and all the lifelines were slack. I was completely exhausted and though the stiuation was not good, I didn't have the strength to do anything else. I went down below for some sleep not knowing waht to expect next. In the middle of the night the wind dropped from 25-30 to 15 knots and in the morning I was able to wind shadow the genoa with my mainsail. The sail had completely stopped flogging. The seas had also calmed down a bit and it was a good quick sail into Rodrigues around 4 that afternoon. I have posted in previous blogs about my 30 hours in Rodrigues and the repairs done in Mauritius.
Now I am 1/3 of my way to Durban, South Africa out of Mauritius. I have nearly crossed my second ocean and I am officially on my way home!
Cheers,
Zac

PS Check out Zac's Store for the new 2009 calendar!



34 Comments:

Blogger Gleaming Waters said...

Happy Birthday to you Zac! God bless you with many more to come.
I know you have honored your parents and I want to share something the LORD has spoken:
"Children honor your parents that it may go well with you and you live long on the earth. This is the first commandment with a promise." I have always spoken this word over my own son, David. Whenever the enemy would try to make me worry about David, I would remember, the enemy is a liar, but God is forever true to His Word!
Many blessings on you and your family,
Tamara

p.s. I want to buy a sailboat to live on in Cat. Any of the Zac Pac want to pass on some good advice?

November 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Gleaming Waters said...

p.s. please see my previous post.
Tamara

November 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.....'I have nearly crossed my second ocean and I am officially on my way home.'
I can hardly believe it...on your way home...how good does that sound!
Thanks for the detailed account Zac but I have to say, it gives me the shivers to read the troubles that you had....it just confirms what a great young man you are. Keep safe and I hope that you are feeling much better now.

UK friend

November 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Zac.
You had a lot of excitement in a very short period of time. You managed the situation real good. Now - 12 more days at the most and you pull into Durban.

@ all the readers hear. Instead of putting an empty blog as my profile in here I put my homepage on. Has nothing to do with sailing but the critters shown love to swim
Happy sailing
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

November 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Zac,
Good to hear from you so soon. After reading your post Part 2 sounds as Harrowing as Part 1, and all sound like a foreign language to me. But the amount of work and ingenuity does not escape me one bit,
you are one remarkable young man. No one can ever deny you that.

As you head into Durban, what are your plans, what sights of SA do you want to see? Will you be traveling further than SA? All money problems aide, what would you like to do there?
Kate

November 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Daveh said...

Congrats Zac!

It's blowing 40kts out of the South offshore of Durban right now, but then things are looking light to moderate for the next 6-7 days after that.

Many hours of straight lines for you...

Daveh

November 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ axel

yeah - but this is an email address and does not get me to your website...

November 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Donna H. said...

Zac, your update gave me chills! You are an amazing inspiration to us all. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you every day. Glad you had a good birthday!

Donna H.
North Richland Hills, TX

November 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,
Glad to know you were able to enjoy your 17th birthday, which will always be a very special and memorable one.

We continue to pray for your safe journey to Durban. Take care and Godspeed!

Dick & Gin
Upland

November 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac,

Happy belated birthday! And congradulations on making the halfway point and rounding that bend!

It's been great reading about your adventure. I can't way to read your book and watch your documentary.

Mary - Central Florida

November 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Tomi said...

Sweet Heavens Capt - it's no wonder Lady Marianne sent out a prayer request! God Love ya lad.

Gotta admit, this is gonna make one heck of a book when y'all write it.

I'd be surprised if y'all didn't replace all the rope rigging when y'all finally made landfall in Mauritis.

All the more reason for each of us ZacPac'ers to chip in another $25'er (okay, I know the denomination isn't 25 but it sounded better than a $20'er :P ).

Don't forget your anti-malarials & hope the ear is much better - see a doc when y'all get to Durbin (just to be safe nothing else is the cause).

Thx for keeping us updated too.

Way glad you were able to enjoy a quiet 17th. By the bye, how was the cake?

Warm Fuzzy HUGS!
Tomi/ATL

November 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that doesn't sound very fun! Glad you pulled through alright though. Happy sailing! (I wish I could be out there with you instead of stuck behind this computer screen)

Looking forward to the next post,

Halle in Oregon.

November 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Zac, just listening to all the work you had to do made me worn out. I bet when you were typing that post and remembering those days you were thankful it was all fixed now. Hope you don't have to deal with something like that again.
My prayers are following you still.

Your friend,
from PA :)

November 30, 2008 at 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess my homepage address didn't made it. Here it is

www.angelfire.com/anime2/HappyBuffyRanch

Sorry
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

November 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Zac!

We knew it had been a rough trip to Rodriguez, but that was exhausting just reading about it!

November 30, 2008 at 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday Zac. Hard to believe your just about on your way home. God Bless!

The Kittiwake Kids

November 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Zac...I sent my birthday card on to Durban; sorry it will be so late. But; celebrate again; it's not limited to one day! I'm so thankful that you have been safe all this time and hard to believe it's been almost 6 months; does the time go by fast for you?

I'm just coming off a week's vacation from classes; now I look forward to 2 weeks at Christmas time. I recieve the calander; will take it to school to share with my students. God Bless you and keep you, Zac; thank you for being a hero worth looking up to.

Tim......
(Magnusson)

November 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger Croaker of FrogPond said...

Zac:

Whoa!! What a story! I read it from beginning to end and found my hair standing straight up, my eyes like saucers, and I'm physically exhausted.

I've said before, "Zac is out there alone surviving by his wits. Fortunately he has a bunch of them!"

Enjoy South Africa, attend to your own physical condition, mend Intrepid, and bring 'er on home! The welcoming committee awaits you!

The Croaker

November 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac!
Wow! Sounds like you had a tough time but again, God helped you through your trials! Praise Him! You must be glad to be offically on your way home, (Lord willing)! Take care the rest of the way! God bless!

November 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh Geez, Zac, as if Part One of the Indian Ocean Forstay Story wasn't harrowing enough...along comes Part Two! I'm a novice sailor, and thinking about what you faced there, you are beyond advanced. For any doubters out there, that was the real deal and as usual, you kept your wits, made wise, safe decisions, and you came out well in the end, in spite of the circumstances.

Well done!

Dana
Santa Monica

November 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac,

I gotta tell ya, dude, when you have a bad day... Sheesh! At least you can write about in past tense.

Scare me if you want, but I've still got nothin' but complete confidence in you. By the way, how many cans of Whup Ass do you have on board?

Keep on having fun... we sure are!

Troy

November 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Heeeeey congrats on your way home!

November 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Douglas Pistone said...

Hello Zac & The Pac,

What a great story. It sounds like it's going to make a great movie or at least a really good book. I'm sure it didn't feel that way while you were going through all those trials and tribulations. We always love hearing your stories with all those great details. It's like we're almost on Intrepid with you feeling your pain and frustrations.

Let's just hope you have some boring times arriving to Durban. Hope the winds stay good and you don't receive any of those 20 to 40 knots of wind.

@ Gleaming Waters, please send me a email and I'll give you some information about living on Cat!!! The news won't be that good unfortunately.

Sail On Zac,
Douglas Pistone
MDR, California

December 1, 2008 at 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Zac.
Do we get some positions for the leg Darwin-Cocos so we all can complete our Google maps?? Would be great.
Looking at my grib map - the wind should get you to Durban in about 10 days.
Happy sailing
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

December 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,

What a nightmare! All he setbacks and still working till exhaustion. But you got through it. What an accomplishment! I think there are some seasoned salts in the club where I am learning to sail (Cal Sailing Club; great club btw), but you are at least as experienced but "only" 16 (well, now 17 but 16when that story happened).

All the best for you amazing sail, but may the rest be less "interesting".
RK

December 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Zacanator. Man if I did not know that this stuff was real, it makes for a great movie. Scary stuff. Somehow through God's grace you always pull through.

Chris Carnaghi
Alhambra, CA

December 1, 2008 at 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a kindly good B-day. Keep it up.

I want to be listening when you make it back to Cal. Keep it up. Remember to try and stay safe and pray.

~Whitten

P.S. If you ever get a chance get the book Carry on Mr. Bowditch. It's really good for sailors.

December 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger STEVE B said...

Happy Birthday Zac!

Glad that your weather has been good. Sounds like sailing is fun again. How is the fishing? Thought you might be wetting a line since you aren't taking a pounding.


Steve
Birmingham, AL

December 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read your accounts, Zac! And Happy Belated Birthday  Glad that the holidays at sea went as well as possible, and great that you had some calm enough days to blog for us! Amazing that you’re more than halfway home and almost complete with Ocean #2. Truly incredible. Praying for safe waters to Durbin… Peace, Your Oklahoma Well-Wisher

December 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one to spot the joke in the title of this entry? ;)

Nice one!

Jim

December 2, 2008 at 1:16 AM  
Blogger Willyboy said...

Zac, as always you write well and are able to convey emotion and situation very clearly - it will be a very good book!

Looking forward to your next post as always - your tales add a little spice to my recuperation.

I hope it was a good birthday and the "insta cake" was tasty.

Cheers!

willy
milford, ohio

December 2, 2008 at 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go Zac im looking forward to your grand reception at MDR on your return. I think im gonna call in sick that day and go sailing. best wishes

December 2, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Willyboy said...

Ayieeee! Zac, NPR day-to-day is doing a piece on you and the whole Sunderland Clan right now!

NPR Day to Day

Cheers again!

willy
milford, ohio

December 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Trevor Keslie, London UK said...

"Am I the only one to spot the joke in the title of this entry? ;)

Nice one!

Jim"

There's noooo waaaay that even somebody as resourceful as Marianne managed to educate Zac about Forsyth... is there?!

LOL

April 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home