Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year Update - Zac
















Self portrait with birthday camera
Hey All!
Well after pushing myself and Intrepid to our limits to cross the Indian Ocean before cyclone season this season, I have had a much needed break. I have been surfing and skateboarding, sightseeing and visiting friends. I've been in touch with a few old friends as well like Chris from Moana who is back to the grind in Australia after he and his father bought a boat in San Diego and sailed it back to Cairns. We initially met in Honolulu and had kept in touch until the Torres Strait. It was great to catch up and think back to our early days at sea together.


I am feeling rested and am now preparing Intrepid to round the Cape of Good Hope. Dad has made his flight arrangements with the great help of John Gezelius who has offered who knows how many frequent flyer miles to get him here! You will be glad to know that I have also been working with a nutritionist, Dave Grotto, via my relationship with sponsor Produce for Kids on preparing a shopping list for my looooong passage to the Panama Canal. Hopefully this will mean that I will have plenty of the right foods to keep me going strong for what could take more than 6 weeks. I have 2 stops on that leg; one at an Island called St. Helena and the other at Trinidad and Tobago off of South America.


From one extreme...



To the other.
If you have any questions about my route, there is a page dedicated to that on my web site. There have been new/old questions regarding my record attempt in relation to other records including that of Mike Perham. These questions are also answered on the site under the FAQs section. I hope it is clear that I am attempting to be the youngest solo circumnavigator. I am cruising and not racing. I am not being ratified by the World Speed Council in the UK. They would have verified my trip but with the short time before my departure and the great cost it would entail, we were not able to do so. Mike Perham, Jesse Martin and David Dicks attempted a solo, non-stop and unassisted circumnavigation. We welcome your questions and input regarding this.





Ship off of Durban I
The FAQs have been updated recently thanks to Marilyn Simcox who keeps track of all of your questions from the blog while I am at sea and saves them for me. Also, on this page is a small spec sheet on Intrepid and her equipment and upgrades. The Supporters page was recently (finally) updated. If you don't see your name and it should be on there - let us know at marianne@zacsunderland.com.



Ship off of Durban II
@PBSTAR: Robin Graham and his circumnavigation in the 60's was in large part my inspiration for this trip. In fact, my route is nearly exactly the same as his except that he was fortunate to be able to stop way more than I am. I have read all of his books (my favorite is The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone)I have not spoken to him but he did contact us by email and I think he is following the trip.
@MindWalker: The strangest food I have eaten recently is Ostrich. It is pretty good and is a lot like steak. Most of the food that I have in port is English style; a lot of meat pies, chips (fries), steaks etc.
@engine advice: Thank you for the interesting and varied input regarding the fuel tanks and fuel pick up etc. We are reading and thinking...

@Anonymous: What do I miss the most? Friends and family for sure.


@Scot: The importance of the record has to be kept in balance with the day to day, week to week running hard of my boat and myself. For now, to be able to do this trip is just so amazing.

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Zac
Note from Mom:
This weeks signed poster and head shot goes to William Potts. Congrats! We have a few more signed posters. For every poster you buy this week your name will be entered into a drawing for a free signed poster and head shot.

19 Comments:

Blogger Tomi said...

With many of concerned about the weather conditions Capt Zac will face over these next few weeks, thought this link might help to keep track of current conditions along the near SA Coastline.

www.weathersa.co.za/

Warm Fuzzy HUGS!
Tomi/ATL

January 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Hello Zac!

Happy New Year! Very good to hear from you, sounds like you're getting well rested and ready for the next big leg home...Good on ya mate!

We have lots of snow and I've been out with friends to do some snow shoeing; headed out this morning too!

Great that you've been able to see the sights and enjoy yourself, and that your dad is headed out to see you.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Africa, eat, exercise, and make time for worship.

Thanks for allowing all of us to tag along.

Hugs, and many blessings,
Anita
Captain SV "Wombat"

January 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Glad to hear your emotional and physical batteries are recharged. Must have been a nice emotional break, taking this time off, waiting for the weather window. Must make you feel fresh, getting back in the boat and back out to sea.

Love seeing your own pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Dana
Santa Monica

January 4, 2009 at 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahoi Zac -
From far away Switzerland, I send you the warmest greetings and best wishes for the second part of your big adventure. Thank you for that beautiful birthday picture! It gives not only an awsome look into your warm, open soul but you have such a charismatic personality - for me you are ZAC LION HEART. Be blessed, young man, and take care! Lots of love,
Mireille

January 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zac...all systems go!
Nice to hear that you have had such a good time, plenty of food, fun and fellowship! had to make it three f's!
Good to hear that you are planning ahead for the long leg and most of all to hear that your dad is able to join you soon....yeh!
Love the pics...so good to see you looking well!

So, many good wishes and prayers as always.

UK friend

January 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Zac and all Sunderlands!!!!!

Great photos Zac and you sound so rested and almost ready for the next task. As I look at your route I stand amazed at what has already been accomplished and what that has meant in your life. Wow!

It was fun hanging all of my Zac Calendars on Jan 1. i now have one for each room in my small home. Too Cool, I think.

There is a frame shop here that does some interesting framing in glass. So I will be working with them to frame my poster. I will be trying to win the signed one. That would be wonderful.

Take care one and all. Again I am so proud to be a Zac Packer.

Kathy
Bend, OR

January 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. I couldn't imagine being out in a boat in that kind of weather... pretty nice picture of you Zac :P

anyways, I'm glad that you're getting well rested and that you're able to catch up with some of your friends from times past. Can;t wait to see you getting home!!

Carpe Diem,

EmilyAnne
Fayetteville, NC

January 4, 2009 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Scot said...

Thanks for commenting on my comment Zac. I think we're thinking the same.

Thanks for the pictures. They always add a real life visual to the stories. A lot of people don't realize how big those cargo ships are when you're next to them, or how fast they move, so the distance you've been lucky enough to keep between you is good.

Has your camp been in touch with Mike's camp? Any interest in meeting and sharing a meal?

Scot
California

January 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac.
Great pics.
If anybody is interested:
Big Containerships and Tankers have a blind spot in front of the bow of up to 500 yards. It's always better stay clear of those things
A North Sea pilot told me that once.
Axel
heye@madisoncounty.net

January 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Splais said...

"The importance of the record.... For now, to be able to do this trip is just so amazing."

Zac, this statement sumarizes such a great attitude and realization of the fantastic voyage you are experiencing; record or not, it is something you will never forget. Charge on.

Question: do you or have you spoken to Mike Perham by SAT phone? It's so incredible, seems the ocean is full of teenagers sailing all over the place.

January 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger John Gezelius said...

A wonderful adventure - I cannot tell a lie: I'm jealous! I was in San Francisco last week and wandered by a marina and thought about you and the voyage - the sailboats are all starting to look good!

But I'll start with a Hobie-Cat!

January 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Croaker of FrogPond said...

Zac:

It's always special when we hear from you direct. Sounds as though you've got your head cleared out and screwed on straight and tight for whatever challenges lurk just over the horizon, literally!

Thanks for the pictures. They are always a bonus and that they are made by yourself adds extra zing.

2008 was a good year for you and for the Zac-Packers. I'm trusting that 2009 will be even greater. Just keep on doing what you do so well. You hand in there as we hang on!

Happy New Year!
The Croaker

January 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Croaker of FrogPond said...

Zac:

Great to hear from you. Pictures are always a huge bonus and those made by yourself add even more zing.

Sounds as though you still have your head screwed on straight and are in an excellent frame of mind for whatever challenges are over the horizon, literally.

Happy New Year and welcome to 2009. 2008 was great for Zac and the Zac-Packers. I expect 2009 to be even greater. Hang in there dude, because we are all hanging on for the grand finale.

The Croaker

January 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Techguy said...

Zac,

Great that you were able to relax before the next leg of your trip. After that it should be all downhill (uphill!).

Between your adventure and others who are riding motorcycles around the world, my Google Earth files are filling up.

Best of luck man,

Jim

January 5, 2009 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Douglas Pistone said...

Hello Zac,

Thanks for that great post and all those pictures. Like they say a picture is worth a million words.

I'm glad you're getting some help with the nutritionist. This might make your trip more enjoyable during those long days or nearing the end of a particular long leg.

Like always keep us informed and I hope you all make that weather window.

Get Ready to Sail,
Douglas Pistone
MDR, California

January 5, 2009 at 5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post, Zac! So happy to hear that you are getting rested up and recharged for your next leg. And so relieved to hear that you are getting sound counsel on nutrition. I'll confess that I have been very worried about your meal plans.

Best wishes for a wonderful reunion with your dad and a nice long stretch of great weather for rounding the Cape.

@ John G. -- I can totally relate -- been thinking of how I can talk my air-sailing (unfinished sailplane in the garage) husband into an adventure on a sailboat. See Zac, such is the inspiration you have been to landlubbers everywhere. CindyinCincy

January 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like this layover in Durban has been very good for body, ship, and soul! Very good to hear from you, and that you’ve gotten a chance to relax and play – be a teenager! – there in SA with new and old friends… What a wonderful year this will be for you. I’m sure there’s some very tough times to come, and very soon with the Cape of Good Hope rounding, but you have some amazing things to look forward to and look back on. Thanks again for the blog ride-along! Peace, Your Oklahoma Well-Wisher

January 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Willyboy said...

Zac! Very glad to hear you've been resting and relaxing in South Africa. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have on my visits. Wonderful place.

It seems like I've missed so much but my time away seems to have mostly lined up with your down time - but I'm pleased to have checked back in before you depart SA on that really long leg. You seem to be in great spirits!

And hello again fellow Zac Pac-ers... :)

You continue to amaze me, Zac and it is a wonderful treat to be able to share a bit in this fantastic quest you are on. Thank you!

Cheers to you and to all...

willy
milford, ohio

January 5, 2009 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger HOLLYWOOD said...

HELLO ZAC
GREAT JOB & ADVENTURE YOU ARE A BRAVE 16 YRS OLD NOW 17YRS OLD...I JUST READ YOUR ARTICLE IN ESPN MAGAZINE....I AM A CALI GIRL WHO LOVE THE BEACH ALSO AND I LOVE TO LOOK AT THE BOATS & YATCHT IN MARINA DEL REY ALSO...THAT WAS GREAT THAT THE ASTROUNAUTS WHERE ABLE TO SEE YOU AND CALL YOU...I KNOW THAT FELT REALLY GOOD TO KNOW THEY CAN SEE YOU...WELL CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOU HAVE PULL INTO THE DOCK OF MARINA DEL REY IN ABOUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS.
STAY SAFE OUT AT SEA.
FROM
SHARON
AKA
HOLLYWOOD

June 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home