Sunday, March 29, 2009

Farewell to All at St Helena - Zac

Friday was the big day. Pete and I had managed to pull the whole windvane off of the back of Intrepid, load it on to the ferry boat and bring it back to the radio station at Saint FM to make it easier to work on. I got the plastic bearings and a hard copy of the Monitor manual complete with diagrams all in one place from Natasza and went to work. I had been piecing together Facebook messages and parts of the manual without diagrams for the past few days. Having the manual was like having all the missing links. It is a bit of a tricky job trying to get 18 tiny bearings to stay in place. In the end I used liquid soap (no grease allowed) to hold them in place. I finally got it back together and carried the thing down the street back to the ferry. Josh and I wrestled it back into place with me in the water and Josh balancing off the back of the boat trying to get everything lined up right. We finally got it all together right as the sun was going down.

We went ashore for what I hoped would be my last night on the island and watched a movie at Ed's house with a bunch of my Saint friends. I said some good byes and went back to Josh and Pete's and crashed for the night. The next morning I got some last provisions, did a radio interview at Saint FM, and went down to the waterfront with Mike, Bernice, Josh and Pete. I will miss all of the English-type food that I have been eating since Papua New Guinea. Especially those pies with all kinds of tasty things in them. I can't remember what those pyramid-shaped things are (mom's note: Samosas) but I'll miss those too.

I said some hard good byes to another bunch of great friends. I had been staying with Mike and Bernice at Saint FM and it had become my second home. I had also become good friends with Josh and Pete and had stayed at their house for the past week so as not to wear out my welcome at the station. We had some great times.

After saying good bye to another group of friends I went out to the boat and did some final prep. To be prepared for a 4 week passage there is a lot to get on board. I spent awhile stowing food and water and lashing down fuel cans.

I dropped the mooring line and headed out into a nice 15 knots. I prayed that my vane would behave. I set the sails and the vane and sailed smoothly for about an hour until the wind dropped off to about 4 knots and ended up motoring to put some distance between me and the island. Having no electric autopilot I hand-steered for a couple of hours til I got just enough wind to move the boat along and got some sleep.

I was really tired and with all of the busyness forgot to call home. Unbeknownst to me I had everyone worried and trying to figure out what might have happened to me. Sorry mom!

I sailed through the night well and this morning the wind built up which has been great. It is good to be out again and making progress on the next leg. Right now the wind is a nice 18 knots off of the aft quarter. I hope it holds through the night. Gotta go do some sail trim before I go to sleep. I'll write again soon.



Note from Mom: I am working on getting an address for Grenada. Will let you know this week.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hurray!!!!

I have never followed someone else's movements before and I must say one does get intensely involved. Glad to have you moving again.

Bon voyage!


March 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck for the passage Zac, will be thinking of you as always, injoy!!

Anna, Aus

March 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to read Zac's on the road again/

Jeeze, following on from webmasters previous post about poor Natasza, seems she may be stuck?

Here's her sat phone number can either call or text her if can't contact over radio?, based on the last coordinates Zac's a 100 miles behind her

"a to pech! 29 - 03 - 2009 and why did it all happen at night, can someone explain to me? has become: autopilot "is dead." would endure for more than half the world ... terrible loss to me, because without the wind at the equator samoster does not ... 280 miles from the Island. 14 05 S, 010 10 The Come on I do not have power. right away in the night as the autopilot "sat" samoster also had a crash. While I recovered, but some of what is going vertically slightly "myszkuje" I do not know how much strength ... In addition to the fact that I'm afraid to put more of the sail would not charge, which slows me, it also controls the same equipment now leaves much to be desired - do not react quickly enough to the waves and wind. I do not know what will come as a stronger wind. bońciu, although the strength to let him to the island of Fernando ... even 1460 miles ... float from the bilge pump also sat L

March 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Rory Gogan Singapore said...

Sounds like U will visit there again someday.
Yeah those pies are great! I thought U would have tried them in OZ. I've heard (((a rumor from a friend))) that the pies taste even better at 2a.m. after a few hundred icey cold beers!

March 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Willyboy said...

Go, Zac, Go.... 40 days Cap'n; just remember the Zac Pac is with you in spirit. Be safe.....


March 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM  
Anonymous Grant Fjermedal said...

Think this was my favorite posting from Zac. What made it so nice was his description of the community of friends he had developed during his short stay on the island. I'm sure he'll be long-remembered on the island.

Was surprised to read he doesn't have an electric autopilot. Seems like it would be good to have two or three Autohelms onboard for those periods when the windvane doesn't work -- or in case it should go out.

As he heads out into the Atlantic, I'm thankful once again for the doctor back at MDR or wherever who donated the radar-detector to Zac so he is notified whenever a ship is approaching.

Over the next 40 days or so as he sails to Grenada, hope Zac finds time to write about his adventures on St. Helena, and all the ports and passages that preceded it.

- Grant Fjermedal, Seattle

March 30, 2009 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Douglas Pistone said...

Hello Zac,

I'm sure the good bye's are really hard especially after having some time with everyone. You will remember all these people and all your great experiences for a long time.

Personally I am glad you're back sailing. The hurricane season is approaching soon and you really must complete the trip back home. Hopefully it will not take very long to get your sailing legs and sailing mentality back in gear.

Sail On Zac,
Douglas Pistone
MDR, California

March 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear you're on your way again. Hopefully the next 4 weeks will be nothing but smooth sailing. Oh and those tasty little snacks called Samosas can be found in the states too. There's a place in Culver City called the
Samosa House and Bharat Bazaar, I doubt they would be near as good as the "real" thing, but it might be worth a try. Godspeed.

March 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Your Oklahoma Well-Wisher said...

Good news! So good to read this. I'm glad you're on your way and that so far it is smooth sailing. Will keep you in my prayers that it continues to be so! Take care out there -- know that there are so many of us thinking of you and praying for you! Peace, Your Oklahoma Well-Wisher

March 30, 2009 at 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac,

all the best for this long leg which you finally were able to start. It will bring you back to the Americas where which you left about 9 months ago. But it will be still some months before you are home. With all those friends around the world, I am imagining that your are already thinking about when you could do your next circum navigation ;-)
But concentrate on what is ahead and find even more friends a bit closer to home next time.

All the best, fair winds and following seas.

March 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Zac!!! Thank God, you got your boat fixed and it didn't take as long as it could have!! Thats so cool how everyone helped you out. Hope you have a safe passage.


March 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Art Guy said...

Hi Zac,
Looking ahead, is your dad going to crew on your passage through the Panama Canal? Although I personally have not been there, I understand from friends who have that it can be tricky to say the least (and that doesn't include the less than desirable characters and safety element). Sure hope your dad can help out. All my best.

March 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to know that you and Intrepid are finally out to sea again. May all go well, Zac. We will lift you up in prayer each day for a wonderful 4 week journey. And hopefully our comments will keep you company. This will be a time of introspection amongst the work of the sailing. May you grow near to God as He will grow near to you my friend.

Fair Winds to Grenada, Zac
Bend, OR

March 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

If there is another time when you need to install plastic ball bearings. A trick I have used is to coat the race with something sticky like honey or jelly. Washes right out with freshwater.

March 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Intrepid---"one" once again! Now, Im wondering if there is an Atlantic version of the "booby" bird???? Here's to full sails!
-Kodiak Mike-

March 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great that you are on your way Zac.
Please remember to phone home...if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

UK friend

March 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Hi Zac,

Glad to hear things worked out and you're on your way. It's always difficult to say "goodbye" to newfound friends and their awesome hospitality. No matter where you travel to, there are nice people in this world. Think of what a memory book of friends you'll have at the end of your journey.

Stay safe and Godspeed!

Dick & Gin

March 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home