Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday May 13, 2008

I'm sorry to say that we are still in the yard! There have been a few setbacks. While pulling the shaft yesterday just to check things, the gear box separated from the engine. The shaft threads will need to be re tapped. Fortunately, the problem was found now and is not too difficult to have repaired. We're now hoping to go back in the water today.
On a lighter note, Mike finished installing the stereo system which I am looking forward to using. Mike has been great finishing up wiring the ship radar. This an amazing little system that picks up a transmission sent via VHF radio frequency by all commercial shipping vessels. This 'ship radar' picks up the transmission within a certain distance and sounds an alarm. Many, many thanks to Dr. David Lowenberg who has sponsored this piece of equipment. He is also putting together a state of the art medical kit for my trip. Awesome!!
I spoke to Jesse Martin from Australia. He holds the record for youngest around the world; non-stop, solo and unassisted! Amazing. He has written a book called Lionheart that documents his journey. It is like a guide book for what I am about to do though I will be stopping and will be able to accept help in port. When faced with the decision of whether or not to try to beat Jesse's record there were 2 major considerations: my father is uncomfortable with me going around Cape Horn with it's icebergs and violent storms, and I really wanted my journey to be more in the vane of Robin Lee Graham who sailed on the Dove back in the 60's. He stopped and explored so many cool places. With modern technology, many people should be able to experience this trip along with me. Anyway, it was very cool to talk to Jesse who could totally relate to the craziness we are experiencing now trying to finish the boat prep.
Other goings on:
Schaefer Marine has hopped on board and is sponsoring me for 2 new roller furling systems. This is exciting because they are considered to be the best in the industry. They will be installed next week.
Several media offers have come in which is interesting. More to follow...
Mom made the first shop at Costco and the house is filling up with food, clothing and supplies. I'm looking forward to moving on the boat and getting her set up inside.
Thank you to all who are sending emails of encouragement. I hope to continue to hear from you all when I am under way when I will have more time to respond!
Cheers,
Zac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home