Saturday, May 30, 2009

Squalls and Ships

Position as of 05/30/09 at 1728Z 8 03.585N 83 48.033W

Slow and steady progress here with light winds, ships here and there and lots and lots of lightning. Isla Del Cano, nearby, is supposed to be the most lightning struck place on the earth. From Charlie's Charts: "The island seems to act as a massive lightning rod protruding from the ocean, for it gets struck by lightning more frequently than any other place in Central America. It's a biological reserve under the jurisdiction of Corcovado National Park." There is also supposed to be an interesting "4 eyed" opossum that is found there. Sounds like an interesting place to visit - a four-eyed possum would be a great pet for my little brother Toby!

Being off the coast of Costa Rica right now, I had a Costa Rican Coast Guard boat hovering around me for part of the afternoon. I thought that I might be boarded but they didn't seem to be too interested in me.

Ten degrees north will mark the end of the first chunk of this leg. After that it will be time to decide whether or not to head offshore to avoid the Nicaraguan, El Salvadoran and Guatemalan coasts (including the infamous Gulf of Tehuantepec) and find wind or to continue to hug the coast. David Morris will be watching any developments in the area to help determine which route to take.

Someone asked about my new UK Halsey main sail and why it was so good to have a new sail for sailing to weather (sailing with the boat pointed as close to the wind as possible). The reason is that I can get better shape with a new sail which maximizes the efficiency of the wind over the sail. That helps in pointing the boat as high into the wind as possible and maximizing my speed. It also helps to balance the boat properly.


David Douglas from New Hampshire sent this very interesting link with a lot of information about the history of cirumnavigating from Magellan to Slocum up to modern day circumnavigators. Thanks David!
http://www.solocircumnavigation.com

Cheers,
Zac

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac,
what is the degree of crime on the high seas in the area of Nicaraguan, El Salvadoran and Guatemalan coasts (including the infamous Gulf of Tehuantepec)? You know we only hear of piracy off of the coast of Africa, is it bad off of the area your traveling?


Rodney Birditt
Valley, Alabama

May 31, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to have you back in the Pacific Ocean Captain
just curious, did you ever figure out how to use that sextant?
Rock On Zac

May 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Axel said...

LOL questions about Panama or Cape Horn are not wanted on Mike's blog I got moderated LOL
Axel

May 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac-
Sounds really interesting with the lightning and all. Good to hear the new Halsey is up to snuff. Sail on, dude! Hola!
Kodiak Mike

May 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Hope you are having some fun out there Zac!
Thinking of you often and keeping you in prayer.
Hugs,
Anita
Waterloo, NY
Captain SV "Womabt"

May 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Ginger said...

Hello,

Laurence & Zac,
Many thanks for your post & photos of the canal transition, which I found simply amazing. I didn't realize the enormous work involved in making the crossing. What a memorable experience! We enjoyed seeing all the Panama photos and hope you had a great time.

We'll be keeping all of you in our thoughts and praying for Zac's safe journey home.

Take care & Godspeed!
Dick & Gin
Upland

May 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Marie said...

It's quiet here today..... Hope everything is ok. To the entire Sunderland family, you are on my mind and in my prayers on this beautiful Sunday!

Blessings -
Marie
WA St.

May 31, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger John Gezelius said...

When is decision time for the course northward?

May 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Laura said...

@ Marie..did u ever live in So Cal?
Laura

May 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Liz said...

Hello, my name is liz.
Im from Panama and after reading a magazine made here, i was so happy to see that you enjoy my little but so beautifull country.
You are so young but have a lot of courage, I really admire you.
God take care of you.

saludos desde panama
Liz

May 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger fory said...

Looks like a hurricane is developing. I'm bit worried.

http://www.nhc.noaa.go/gtwo_epac.shtml

May 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Axel

Yeah that site is being heavily censored for a while now, nothing gets through unless you pat mike on the head and make nice nice in messages. Even simple technical questions about repairs are verboten. Explains why only 3 or 4 people comment there or are allowed to comment there.

Whatever.

May 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Fulgum said...

Hi, Zac. Sounds great. The only thing I would say about this leg is BE CAREFUL. (This is more when you reach Mexico.) There's a drug war going on and news reports in recents months have indicated that the cartels are started to use the sea because the borders are becoming harder to travel.

Is it overtly dangeroud off the Central American Coast too?

Onward!

Scott

:)

May 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zac I Iive in Costa Rica you met my dad today (Sunday). I think what you are doing is incredible, I wish you good luck. I hope you can come visit. We are pretty into to sailing also. "you will do great, if you just have faith."

May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No hurricane, small confused storm developed heading out west though well north of Zac's position:

You can track storm activity for that region:

http://www.stormpulse.com/pacific

May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Lord Hox said...

I have been reading your blog from the start of your journey. You are probably looking forward to getting home. I lived away from home for two years when I was 19. No family alone in a forien speaking country is hard, I imagine being alone out in the ocean worse. My ow my... but what an amazing adventure! Good job.
Lord out.

May 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Jeff W. In_Tampa said...

I just read an article about you and your voyage and I'm amazed. I admire your, and your parents, courage and dedication and. You remind me that we all need to celebrate life for as long as it lasts and I thank you. Do me a favor and write a book. I want to read about this year you're having.

June 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Sweet Home Chicago? said...

Zac,
I'll pray for your safety and I know you will accomplish your goal. Be blessed and God Speed!!!

Bill Smith
Chicago, IL
CDR, U.S. Navy (ret)

June 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger jwright said...

Zac I've been around the World and maid a few stops myself at 42 I have challenges and I'm still looking for adventures. You have proved that if you want to do anything Just Do IT!! God Bless...James Wright!!

June 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home