Thursday, May 15, 2008

Intrepid in the water again!

I am happy to say that Intrepid has had a successful launch at Anchor's Way Marine in Ventura! Thanks again to everyone there who cheerfully helped us make Intrepid what she is today. We spent all yesterday checking through hulls, bilge pumps and running and checking electrical systems.

Mike Smith, friend Taylor Horton and I will sail her to Marina del Rey this morning. Looking forward to relaxing a bit at sea and playing with my new camcorder.

I have posted a web album of photos from our family retreat and also of the launch here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/zacsworldadventure/FamilyRetreatAtAlisalRanchAndBoatLaunch?authkey=XCLGR5kULdQ

We are now 2 weeks from departure. Please notice the change (again) of date. I am leaving on Saturday May 31st from Burton Chace Park in Marina del Rey. Apparently the press does not work on Sunday (at least not for me!). The plan is to bring Intrepid to the guest docks around 10am. There will be time for photos and last things before the wind picks up around 11:30 or so.

The home page of my web site will have my departure date should it need to change again which we are not anticipating but with boats who knows?

Still much to do. Dad will be installing the wind generator, self steering device, a Monitor wind vane (thank you Hans from Scanmar International) and solar panels. Mom is organizing all my paperwork, food, shots, a possible haircut, and a final trip to the dentist. Mike and I will be working on linking up my computer to SailMail, the email service that comes through the Single Side Band (SSB) High Frequency (HF) radio and also to Clear Point Weather's weather forecasting software that will come through the Iridium satellite phone. I highly encourage any serious sailor to check out their web site at http://www.clearpointweather.com/. Not only do they have a great product that is user friendly, but they are fantastic to work with.

Will update again soon.

Cheers,
Zac




3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Good luck on your excellent adventure. You are an inspiration and I will pray for your success as I follow your trip. Have a great time. Steve S

May 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hats off, captain,

i am truly inspired by your accomplishments and efforts.
thanks,

reb

September 4, 2008 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger gsfginx said...

Saw you on CNN this morning. Outstanding job! All the best

GregF
Houston, TX

July 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home