Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Home Stretch

Four more days of prep! Hard to believe. Everything is coming together. There are still some systems that haven't been tested and the new sails arrive today. I'm feeling nervous about the amount of work left to do. The days are flying by so fast! Dad is staying on the boat, working into the night and up early making lists and coordinating all the amazing volunteers that have come out to be a part of all this. The LA Times article by Pete Thomas came out yesterday.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-outdoors26-2008may26,0,7974897.story
Thanks Pete (and Al)!

I did an interview with Fox 11 yesterday.
http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=892A55CB3DD7BDC18AB0D6CD4DC2B6D5?contentId=6630402&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

I've done several radio interviews. I have a few interviews today. We've decided to stop the interviews after today so the dock can be clear and people's minds focused. I will do my interview with Good Morning America on Thursday now instead of Friday which is good. I'll need at least a day to organize the chunk of Costco that is sitting in the foyer at home!

There are so many thank yous to go out...
JR from Freedom Fabricators spent the entire day yesterday installing and customizing the stainless steel solar panel arch. His endurance to complete it in a day was an inspiration.

Mary Ellen Rose, rigger, spent a day on the rigging, putting together one of the new Shaefer roller furling systems and installing a lazy jack system. A lazy jack system is a series of small lines that when set, catch the main sail when you let it down. For a single hander this piece of equipment is imperative. Otherwise the sail falls all over the deck getting blown by the wind and tangled in everything.

Bryon Pheifer and Raphael came and put together the other new Schaefer furling system. Stan Harris, Dave Roberts and Carl Sernoff, who have been doing rigging for many many years have come down to inspect all the rigging. It is a relief to know such great minds are working on that criticalarea of the boat.

Darrell Steffey, who we we have known since we lived aboard the Tradewind 55 when I was little, has come down to organize electrical details. David Benson and friend Rwanda have spent many days pouring over dad's lists and making a few of their own! Charlie Dewell, who did a singlehanded journey across the Pacific to Tahiti via Hawaii has been down to offer words of encouragement, and technical advice on the Monitor windvane among other things. Jean Paul from Australia has come down in the evenings to volunteer with what ever needs tobe done. He spent the whole of one evening cleaning every crevice of the alcohol stove which we though we were going to have to replace. Mike Smith has been on the job though he is back in North Carolina. He is tirelessly troubleshooting and organizing information to make our jobs quicker and more efficient.

All said, there are so many people coming together to make this happen it is amazing. As far as sailing around the world alone goes, I'll be sailing alone, but I could never do this without the help of many people here in the marina.

I wish I had more time to write but there is still much to do. Thank you for all the emails of emcouragement. Mom is printing them up for me to read while undeway when hopefully I'll have more time.

I received a few messages about my old blogs not coming up and we have someone on it (thanks mom!)

Cheers,
Zac


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the LA Times article and am thrilled to hear someone attempt what others wish they could do. We will be keeping tabs on your whereabouts and praying that you make it home safely. Speaking of prayer, I recommend it on a daily basis, even on the good days.
Go Zac!

May 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zac. This is Johnny from Tracks Like Trains. It was cool that you featured our song "Machine" on your Fox 11interview yesterday! We wanted to thank you. You should contact us on myspace and if you want any free music, you got it :)

Tracks Like Trains

www.myspace.com/tracksliketrainsmusic

May 27, 2008 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Hi Zac,

As a fellow sailor, albeit a much older and less accomplished sailor, As you set out to do something no one your age has ever done, I wish you a great adventure and even better sailing conditions. I look forward to reading updates of your progress. In a very real sense you are following the same spirit that drove Joshua Slocum in his great adventure. So, in his own words, I pass along this advice, "To young men contemplating a voyage I would say go. The tales of rough usage are for the most part exaggerations, as also are the stories of sea danger. To face the elements is, to be sure, no light matter when the sea is in its grandest mood. You must then know the sea, and know that you know it, and not forget that it was made to be sailed over." God speed Zac.

Ken


as it was with him I hope it is with you, "The days passed happily with me wherever my ship sailed."

May 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger marco in phoenix said...

Hey Zac. It looks like everyone all over the world is talking about your adventure. Well! It's pretty fantastic.
Dude, I have travelled all over the world and I loved it. I am sure you will love your trip too. From this trip, you will learn so much about yourself and the world that you will be a complete different person once you get back home: you will be a man! No everyone can do something like that. No everyone can take off one day all alone and get back after 1 year. It's something special that only special persons can do. You are a brave man and your parents must be proud of you.
Wish there was a harbour in Phoenix. I guess I will have to take a day trip to Californa to see your arrival next year.
Take lots of pics, enjoy this dream and have fun.
Marco in Phoenix

May 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zac... I read the article in the LA Times. Best of luck to ya. Have a great time- we'll be prayin' for ya.
:) <3

May 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Zac. I look forward to following your adventure on your blog. You are an inspiration to all young (and a few old) people worldwide.

May 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Jack M. said...

Zac,

I've never sailed, but many years ago when I was in college I read "Dove" by Robin Graham and thought it was a great story, so I'm intrigued by your plans and want to wish you a safe trip with just enough adventure to take you to the next stage in life.

A couple of quotes for you: "God created you so that your life would count, not so that you would count the days of your life" -- Erwin Raphael McManus. So here's to making it count now and for long after this adventure.

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you until it seems as if you couldn't hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for this is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -- Harriet Beecher Stowe

May 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your trip. I'm pretty envious of you right now. This will be an exciting adventure for all involved and those keeping a close eye on your trip.
I just read about your trip for the first time online while trying to look up ideas for my future trip. Word apperantly doesn't get to Seattle as fast, especially if you don't watch the news.
Anyway...again good luck and have fun. Don't be too worried, but don't be too care free. Sorry if I don't really have any advice, but have fun.

May 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck will be following daily.

May 29, 2008 at 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed by this. I saw a video on CNN.com and I'm just completely amazed. Best of luck!

Pat (Trenton, MI)
myspace.com/close_tohome

May 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Captain Zac...
Just read about the delay to repower. Great decision. I have sailed most of my 58 years and many times have faced last minute changes due to some new awareness I was just given, like needing a new engine. Trust your instincts and take time to be safe.

Doug

May 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Zac,
My name is Quin Lin. I'm 8 years old. I'm studing your voyage. I will be checking your web site every day. I will mark you location every day on my map. Please make sure you tell me where you are please. Good luck!!

P.S. You have 3 days and 17 hours and something seconds to go until you leave for you eventure. Bye

June 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you have a good trip across the worl how many years or months would it take to get around the world so this is what your going to do well im excited for you well i have to go now peace!!:]
arthur c.

June 11, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home